Moongirls by Nana Akosua Hanson was announced as the winner of the Best Graphic Novel & Comic for the African Speculative Fiction Society’s Nommo Awards.
This was announced at the 79th World Science Fiction Convention (WorldCon). This marks the first time the ceremony was held at a WorldCon, and the first time held outside Africa.
Moongirls emerged as the overall winner after being shortlisted alongside Alex, Black Sheep, Meanwhile, New Men and Titan.
Details of the shortlisted comics are below:
2021 Best Graphic Novel Award
- Moongirls by Nana Akosua Hanson (writer) AnimaxFYB Studios (art) – Ghana Drama Queens Collective (winner).
- Alex by Anna Mbale (writer) and Mwiche Songolo (artist) – Black Hut Comics
- Black Sheep by Mwiche Songolo (writer & artist) – Black Hut Comics
- Meanwhile… by Quinto Collab (various writers & artists), MaThoko’s Books, an imprint of GALA Queer Archive
- New Men by Murewa Ayodele (writer) and Dotun Akande (artist) – Collectible Comics.
- Titan by Mazuba Chimbeza (writer & artist) – Black Hut Comic
Moongirls chronicles the adventures of 4 sheroes with varying superpowers on a mission to save the world from a diverse range of forces; from patriarchy, sexuality, rape culture to pollution and global warming. The graphic novel tackles real world perspectives and includes adult themes as well.
Read more about Moongirls below. Visit the Moongirls website to experience the graphic novel.
Congrats to Akosua Hanson, the Drama Queens collective and the rest of the team for the win.
Every year, the Nommo Awards for speculative fiction highlights and rewards words of speculative fiction by Africans. This covers short stories, novellas, novels and our favorite, graphic novels and comics. The awards, now in its fourth year is organized by the African Speculative Fiction Society (ASFS) and awards up to $1,000 in the graphic novel category.
The awards, now in its fifth year is organized by the African Speculative Fiction Society (ASFS) and awards up to $1,000 in the graphic novel category. This prize money is made possible by Tom Ilube, who has been the benefactor for the Nommo Awards since it started.
Previous Nommo awards winners for comics and graphic novels include:
- 2020 – Danfo (Morakinyo Araoye, Steven Akinyemim, Ogim Ekpezu)
- 2019 – Shuri: The Search for Black Panther (Nnedi Okorafor and Leonardo Romero)
- 2018 – Lake of Tears (Kobina Ofei and Setor Fiadzigbey)
- 2017 – Chimurenga’s ‘Chronic: The Corpse Exhibition and Older Graphic Stories’ – Chronic no. 3 (Various writers and artists. Edited by Ntone Edjabe)
KaDi Yao Tay
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.